Apply for building regulations

Changes to building control regulations

Completion certificates for Building Regulations applications submitted on or after 1 October 2023 can no longer be issued unless a notice of completion has first been submitted. 

Learn more about this update on our News page.

There are different types of building regulation applications you can make and the following advice can help you decide which is best for you.

Our online forms are the simplest and quickest way to send your application to us. However, you can also send your applications to us using the Planning Portal, email, telephone or post. Additional details can be found on this page. 

Full Plans online form

Full plans applications can apply to any type of building work, but must always be submitted for works on

  • commercial buildings
  • schools
  • shops
  • offices
  • railway premises
  • factories
  • hotels.

You must submit detailed plans and you’ll get a formal decision notice.

Building Notice - online form

This type of application is only for smaller projects, like alterations and extensions. You don’t get formal approval like you do with full plans, but we’ll acknowledge your building notice.

Regularisations - online form

If you’ve carried out works without building regulations approval, you can apply for a regularisation certificate.

Only work carried out after 11 November 1985 can be approved in this way.

Demolitions - online form

If you plan to demolish a building or part of a building, you must give us at least six weeks' notice.

Change of duty holder

Information must be provided to Building Control following changes to the appointment of duty holder roles. It can be completed by a third party but must be signed by the client.

Notice of completion form

Submit your notice of completion form to us in order to obtain your completion certificate. This is only required for Building Regulation applications submitted after 1 October 2023. 

Planning Portal

The Planning Portal allows you to submit the form and upload documents. However, to pay the fee you will need to call us on 01275 884550.

If you have questions about how to use the Planning Portal, contact the Planning Portal online help centre or call them on 0333 323 4589.


Download one of the application forms at the end of this page. Once completed, send it with your supporting documents to the email below.


You can call us, during office hours, on 01275 884550, one of the team will take your details and get the process started.


Download and print one of the application forms at the end of this page. Once completed, send the following to the address below:

  • your completed application form
  • any supporting documents
  • your fee payment

Any cheques should be made payable to North Somerset Council.

Building Control, Town Hall, Walliscote Grove Road, Weston-super-Mare, BS23 1U.


Information about fees can be found on our dedicated Fees page.